Melbourne Burger Bar Goes Up In Flames

5 July , 2017

Just before 2am on Monday July 3rd, a large fire broke out at Harding’s Burger Joint on the corner of Sydney Rd and Harding St in, Inner North Melbourne.

The fire started in the kitchen and is believed to have been caused by cooking that was left unattended. The fire then quickly spread to the business upstairs, Merri Health, a community health service and an adjoining Asian supermarket.

Over 50 firefighters battled the fire for 90 minutes, unfortunately neighbouring businesses couldn’t be saved from smoke, fire and water damage. A fire spokesman has estimated damage in excess of $600,000.

No injuries were reported and significant traffic delays affected the area until the morning.

The kitchen is one of the most common locations of fires. This incident highlights the importance of training employees to correctly respond to a fire in the workplace, it is also vital that they have the correct equipment.

For more information on preparing and responding to a workplace fire, contact the First 5 Minutes Team.

<< BACK TO NEWS
F5M Find out your requirements